Sunday 6 July 2014

Keep Calm and Study Hard

Hello Everyone,

I am actually in a position now where I can say that I have been there and done that when it comes to University. I have absolutely no regrets but a tone of advice to students who are going through final exams, assignments or assessments and I thought I would shed some light and wisdom to help you approach this busy and stressful time.

Below are some top tips...

1. Give yourself enough time to study

I think we have all been in that situation where you've put off revising for an exam and then 'poof' the exam miraculously is the next day! Don't leave it until the last minute. I mean if you have studied steadily throughout the year then last minute cramming might be ok for you but from experience breaking down the exam topic over a few weeks is the best way to go at revising. Set out some kind of timetable for studying and then organise yourself around that. I found in my final year making brightly coloured posters with notes worked great! You may want to give some exams more study time than others, so you have to find your own balance between everything!

2. Use charts and diagrams

I briefly touched on this in the paragraph above but it is such a great way to visually set out your work and study materials. At the start of your revision really challenge yourself to write down everything you already know about a topic and then highlight any gaps that might need a little more work. Closer to the final exam, condense your evasion notes into a one-page poster and try and use acronyms or funny phrases to help you memories more. Getting your ideas down in this particular way can really help you to quickly recall everything you need to know during the exam.

3. Organisation 

I am quite and organised person anyways but something I cannot stress enough also is keeping your study area organised and clear. You want to make sure you have enough room to have all your books out on your desk, your notes and posters (see above).

4. Past exam papers

One of the most effective ways to prepare for exams is to practise with past exam papers. This is something I have been utilising since my GCSE's back in middle school. This helps you obtain a fuller understanding on the type of questions, how many points they might be worth and also the format, whether they are essay type of multiple-choice questions. Something I always stubble with in exams is using my time efficiently...you always think 2 hours would be plenty of time but I can assure you now in most cases it is not enough!

5. Study groups

This is something I did with my University friends this year and we had an amazing time! We all said that our final year was one of the best revision we had ever done. You can get together with friends and study and test each others knowledge on the topic.

6. Take regular breaks

Studying for hours on end can be great but it can also have it's disadvantages and be counterproductive. Everyone is different. so develop a study routine that works for you. This year my friends and myself would study one topic up until lunch, then take a break for lunch and re-coop with some yummy food and then finish the afternoon with another topic. If we were feeling extra brainy one day we would do some extra studying at home that evening also.

7. Plan your exam day

Make sure you get everything read well in advanced for the exam. Do not leave it till the morning of the exam and suddenly discover you are missing something you were supposed to bring etc. Check all of the rules and requirements and please make sure to bring you university ID. First year I went to sit my Marketing exam and I forgot my ID. All was not lost as I managed to prove my identity with my driving licence and university athletics union card (cheerleader) but it could have all gone wrong.

8. Drink plenty of water

This is a no brainer to be honest and a total Mummy point but it is so true. Keeping well hydrated is essential for your brain to work at it's best. Make sure to drink plenty of fluids throughout the revision process and also the exam. If you do bring a water bottle into the exam, remember to take the label off the bottle!

9. Brain food

During exam revision sometimes all I would want to eat is easy and quick junk food but I felt so much better when I reached for something a lot healthier. At the moment I have been going to the gym every single day and I can honestly say that I can see a huge difference in my energy levels with getting up early and working out. The same applies with food! Keep your body and brain well-fuelled by choosing nutritious food that have been proven to aid concentration. The same applies on exam day - eat a good meal before the test, based on foods that will provide a slow release of energy throughout. Sugar may seem appealing, but it won't help when your energy levels crash an hour or so later.

10. Try your best & good luck! 

I hope you found these tips useful! I totally understand what you are going through with final exams and everything to do with university. Keep strong because you are almost at the finish line!

Speak to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment