Monday 23 June 2014

British Airways Strikes Again

Hello Everyone,

I hope you have all had a great week!

I am still away on vacation but it all comes to an end on Wednesday when I get on an aeroplane back home to the UK. I thought I would talk to you about something that has propped up in the news recently because they are quite fun to add in the mix amongst university life. From next week I have a complete itinerary of posts that I will be writing for you so keep your eyes peeled for those...they are good'ns. One of which will be a graduation post as I graduate in four weeks!! Crazy I know!!

As you know I am away on vacation and I fly back on Wednesday. Well, it looks like their might be another British Airways strike on the cards and for me it's bitter sweet as I would love to stay out here for longer but I have reality to head home to. I thought this would be something relevant to discuss as throughout my 'Strategy and Change Management' unit this year we focused a lot on case studies but also around the airline industry. We had to purchase and use this airline simulation software and basically run our own airline and purchase everything from in-flight necessities, staff and the aeroplanes themselves! Overall, it was something really informative, different and quite fun to get involved in.

British Airways is facing the threat of renewed strikes after cabin crew said they were prepared to take industrial action after their pay claims were rebuffed. Like I mentioned above about the airline simulation software, this is something that propped up on a weekly basis for us and our 'fictional' airline as the computer generated problems for us for resolve. In a consultative ballot last week amongst members of the mixed fleet, 95% of the crew who voted said they would go on strike. In an airline industry or business in general you need to keep your employees satisfied and content to ensure they present the business in a motivational and professional manor. I am all for individuals striking to achieve something they believe in, however, these situations could be avoided if British Airways issued relevant Strategy and Change Management in place.

A British Airways spokesman mentioned: "Our cabin crew positions attract a high level of applicants due to the competitive package offered, our extensive route network and promotional opportunities. We are currently conducting pay talks with all parts of the airline and any talk of industrial action by one of four cabin crew groups is completely speculative."

British Airways have offered a pay rise in line with inflation to other cabin crew on pre-2010 contracts, who work exclusively either long-haul or short-haul in the worldwide or European fleets. All of the disputes are regarding wages as per usual as most things are these days. The new flexible crew has been hoping to close the wage gap with their better-paid colleagues but have made no progress...hence the next stage and the striking processes. Major stir was created when employees discovered that Willie Walsh who is a partner in the British Airways and Iberia had a 400% pay rise of £5million the end of 2013, while the British Airways boss Keith Williams was only paid £4million.

It seems that this has been an on-going situation and it doesn't look like anyone is going to make amends or try and solve the situation anytime soon. Apparently unions have announced that strikes will begin on 24th June 2014. Travellers (that's me) will be warned to expect heavy disruption during the period, with officials aiming to run at  least 50% of scheduled flights. Having issues travelling home would be the icing on the cake as we had issues flying out on our original date (6th June) due to  a British Airways clerk 'accidentally' damaging my Mum's passport but that is a complete other story. This will be fun...I will make sure to keep you posted!

What are your thoughts on the strikes?

Speak soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment